Access to Collections
- All researchers must register during each visit. Photo identification is required each entry. Researchers will be required to fill out a use form, which will become part of the Butler Center's permanent file.
- Researchers may bring belongings, such as purses, briefcases, and other personal property into the Research Room. However, these items will be searched prior to departure.
- Food, drink, and tobacco are not allowed in the Research Room.
- Cell phones must be turned off or put on vibrate.
- Butler Center materials do not circulate, and use of materials is restricted to the Butler Center Research Room.
- A request form must be filled out for materials in the closed stacks area (manuscript collections, photographs, pamphlets, maps, etc.).
- No more than three books or folders will be pulled at one time. Manuscript collections are limited to one folder at a time.
- Researchers may be required to wear gloves in order to handle some items.
- Do not lean on, write on, fold anew, or set other items on top of original materials.
- Maintain existing order and arrangement of unbound materials.
- In general, appointments must be made in advance to use media formats that require playback equipment, such as LPs, audiotapes, videotapes, and films. In cases where the Butler Center holds unique or archival examples, materials must be reformatted before they can be accessed, sometimes at the researcher's expense. Please contact us for further information or to schedule access to audio-visual materials. Access cannot be guaranteed unless prior arrangements have been made.
- Please contact us for further information or to schedule access to the permanent art collection.